Clueless

September 4, 2005

Vacation is Over… an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It’s Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren’t there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn’t want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don’t like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don’t let people criticize you for this — after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don’t listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers’ budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn’t cut the money to fix those levees, there weren’t going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them — BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn’t stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It’s not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C’mon, they’re black! I mean, it’s not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don’t make me laugh! Race has nothing — NOTHING — to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

On September 15, 2005 5:58 PM, Mr. Blue said:

Mr. Red, I just got back from visiting my friend, Fidel, in Cuba when I saw this thread.

What radical agenda do I have?

On September 9, 2005 2:24 PM, deepsix50 said:

Thank you Notorc!!! I could not agree more. My favorite was when people who were opposed to Metro were all part of a Republican conspiracy, even though five of the most vocal opponents were Democrats or Independents or when the board changed hands last March, a former official actually publicly said she thought she’d never see the day when BUSH took over Croton!!!! This is a Croton blog or it used to be. Lots of Dems crossed over in March because they are more moderate and lots of Republicans crossed over in the past because they were moderates too. Enough of this far left far right crap. I was hoping I could come back to this blog and see its focus back on Croton. I guess I was wrong. Whatta waste of energy. It’s just cancerous in a small village like this.

On September 9, 2005 11:33 AM, notorc said:

No, clueless because you cut-and-paste Michael Moore’s letter in a village blog.

Obviously I’m not a fan of Michael Moore but I don’t want to see letters from Ann Coulter or Rush here either (unless they move to the area).

In regards to the hurricane relief, I agree the President should have done a better job. He should have realized how inept the local and state leaders were and took control sooner. Then again, we don’t we should be resistant to federal government taking control of local affairs.

At the end of the day, not everything is blue and red. On a large scale, dem vs rep kinda works. In a village of 7,000 people, it’s cancerous.

On September 9, 2005 8:06 AM, Mr. Red said:

Jeff,

“What is truth? Is truth unchanging law? We both have truths, are mine the same as yours?”

These were words spoken over 2000 years ago. They are as “true” today as they were then. Mixing emotions with politics is a dangerous brew.

Let’s just agree that we are both disappointed tremendously with the events that took place. The only difference being that you are trying to change the world and still scream at the top of your lungs about what you deem as a fraudulent president. Whether or not that is true doesn’t change anything, negativism and bashing (while might give some people satisfaction, accomplishes nothing. If you want change, demand it from your elected officials. If they don’t respond, vote them out. It’s that simple.

My only objection to the original post is that it is inflammatory. You are intelligent and you know that mistakes were made by the mayor and the governor as well as the Bushies. Honest discourse is what a democracy is all about. Giving people all the facts helps make things better, diatribes and extremism turn people deaf.

Peace

P.S. You were able to coorectly identify my last quote. If you can identify this one, I’ll gladly buy you a drink wearing a “blue” bandana.

On September 8, 2005 9:03 PM, Jeff T. said:

Clueless, notorc, because who could possibly consider publishing the opinion of Michael Moore? Michael Moore, the man who dared stand up to the bush/foxnews/washingtontimes/abcradio lie-machine that is running our country?

Why exactly can we trust Bush instead of Michael Moore?

Are people not dying in Iraq? Did people die needlessly because somebody’s college roommate is running FEMA instead of a professional? Did Bush not drop the ball when he got a PDB that told him “BIN-LADEN DETERMINED TO STRIKE IN US”?

Mr. Red, Since when is reporting the facts of what someone said [Barbara Bush] a “radical agenda?”

Although you’re right — telling the truth in Bush’s America is a radical agenda. If it’s not spun and finely honed into a multi-faceted strictly adhered-to memo that’s repeated throughout the right-wing echo chamber apparatus, it can’t be the truth, right?

On September 7, 2005 11:59 PM, notorc said:

When we have the editor of Crotonblog posting letters from Michael Moore, we know who truly is “clueless”.

On September 6, 2005 12:33 PM, weewill said:

1) Barbara Bush a racist? I think not, but her choice of words is certainly questionable and in poor taste.

2) Crotonblog limited to liberal comments? I think not. Not one single submission has been edited or turned away by editors.

3) Rooney, Cudequest, Deepsix, Mr. Red, CrotonTaxpayer - liberals? I think not.

4) Disgrace a sitting President? I think not. This sitting President has disgraced himself.

5) It’s the non-liberals who should stop whining and start making some meaningful contributions to the dialogue. Elliott and Grant are gone. It’s time to hear from Schmidt, Brennan and Steinberg.

6) Who are they? Where are they? What are they thinking? What are they doing?

On September 6, 2005 12:12 PM, Pat Barua said:

How does a blog “disenfranchise” people?

With 1900+ unique visitors in August, I don’t think this blog needs to worry about turning people off, if that’s what you meant. Maybe there is a silent but sizeable group of Democrats in Croton that is more liberal than you.

I don’t see why this blog should limit itself to purely Croton issues. Mr. Red made a respectable rebuttal to the article; both sides have been aired. I like hearing what my neighbors think on issues beyond Metro Enviro —

But I do agree with what you said about the last election being about change — people wanted a change and they got it. Most of the issues had little to do with being “liberal” or “conservative.” I think the change people wanted was “responsiveness” — they felt like the old board didn’t respond to people’s concerns. I’m not saying that was a fair judgment but the old board was not very media savvy and did a terrible job promoting its accomplishments, while its opponents were masterful in saturating all then-available outlets with its shortcomings. They are not having such success manipulating the blog, and I think that’s why they are griping about it!

I do think the present board has done some things that do make it seem, at least on the surface, responsive. More information is posted on the website. The mayor seems to be more willing to engage in direct dialogue, and when I see him around town, he is very approachable — and I often see him from my car talking to other residents.

But I’m not getting a good feeling about the openness of this Board. Other posters have pointed out that meetings with counsel are now held outside of executive session, which means we the public don’t have to know about them or who is there. The mayor and the Republican trustees routinely meet up after Village Board meetings — maybe they should read the open meetings law — can you imagine the uproar if the Democrats had done that? There is at least an unconfirmed rumor that the Board rejected a settlement offer to buy the Katz property — in view of this Board’s campaign promise to get a community center off the ground, and what’s at stake in the Katz lawsuit, shouldn’t this offer have gotten a full public airing?

So we got change, but not all of it was the kind of change I was expecting.

And by the way, I can’t stand Michael Moore. He ruins many good points he could be making by exaggerating or distorting the truth. But I support the Blog’s decision to post whatever material it wants, as long as we can all comment on it.

On September 6, 2005 11:49 AM, Mr. Red said:

Ross,

Is your quote from Barbara Bush supposed to mean that she is racist and hates blacks? I think not.

Stick to reporting about Croton, leave the radical agenda to Mr. Blue.

On September 6, 2005 11:04 AM, deepsix50 said:

I could not agree with you more “Mr. Red” and I’m a Democrat. Frankly, this is supposed to be a Croton Blog. Help those in Katrina yes. Note the failures of Bush, yes (and sadly some Louisiana Democrats as well), but stop looking so far-left and incidendiary, for the people you DISLIKE, but crucify anyone else who has anything bad to say about the people you happen to like. Most Democrats are more moderate than the ruling hierarchy here and I can’t tell you how many of them have come up to me and said that the local Democrats and this blog is so reactionary. I don’t see it as an issue of negativity. The world is negative and positive too. I see it more as a need for change and whoever represents that change best is who I will vote for. I attended a get together of Democrats before the Croton election. I heard one of the “leaders” say that Elliott had made three mistakes; one was that he approved the Something Good permit, the other was that he went to the Journal editorial board and the third was how he handled Metro “with kid gloves”. Other Democrats present said it was time to get rid of the “old guard” and their supporters who were hurting the party and more importantly, hurting Croton. I agree with all this. Make this a Croton blog. It’s starting to come across like a whining board more and more. What a turn off. You are moving further and further away from where you started and disenfranchising lots of people in the process.

On September 6, 2005 10:17 AM, TeaDrinker said:

Mr. Red, Meet Mrs. Red:

Barbara Bush in Houston… “Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we’re going to move to Houston.”

“What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

“And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this—this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them.”

On September 6, 2005 10:11 AM, Mr. Red said:

To the editors,

It is disappointing that you have decided to post this rather inflammatory letter. While I certainly feel that the Bush administration has done a horrible job in the wake of Katrina (and by the administartion I specifically mean Homeland Security and FEMA), this letter only looks to add fuel to the fire and try to disgrace a sitting president.

Let us all realize that the danger quotient for New Orleans has been known for decades, DECADES!! The levees were built to withstand a level 3 hurricane and all former administrations knew it, that includes St. Bill Clinton. So if you want to blame presidents include him in the list, otherwise, it reeks of “sore loser”-itis.

Lastly, playing the race card is totally irresponsible. No sane individual thinks for one minute that our governmanet wants to eliminate black people, reprehensible!

I realize that you wanted to start a site that gave people in this town a slice of Americana with a liberal slant but when you post incendiary letters like this, you further disenfranchise those people whom you are trying to convince that Bush is wrong and you are right and upset a great many people who want the negativity to end.