view slideshow) was held on Sunday, October 9th, 2005 from 1:00 to 5:00 PM at the Harmon Fire House. Hundreds of Croton families attended this year’s event which was themed “using candles with care”, emphasizing the dangers of open flames and candles, in particular, in homes.
Children earned rides on the fire engines by performing fire safety practices, including “stop, drop and roll”, exercises in climbing out of a window to a firefighter and on to a safety ladder, practice calls to 911, and coloring maps showing the emergency escape routes in thier homes. Croton’s kids also were able to watch a magic show, get a colorful bandage from the EMTs and silde down a GIANT inflatable fire engine slide (view slideshow).
Free hot dogs, drinks, and popcorn were also provided by the volunteers of the Croton Fire Department. Additionally, educational material was available and fire safety equipment was be sold to residents at wholesale prices.