February 15, 2006
Does the following raise any questions in your mind about the “Independence” of the Gonzalez/Steinberg team from Maria Cudequest?
- On Jan. 30, 2006, the Independence Party held a caucus to nominate candidates for the Croton Village election. There are 142 registered Independence voters in Croton.
- The official notice for the caucus was filed by fax from Trustee James Steinberg’s office.
- No notice of the caucus was published in the local papers.
- The meeting was attended by only TWO Croton Independence registered voters—Maria Cudequest and William Rooney, who live in the same house.
- Mr. Rooney and Maria Cudequest were appointed Chair and Secretary, respectively, by a non-Croton Independence Party County official.
- Mr. Steinberg was nominated by Maria Cudequest and seconded by Mr. Rooney.
- Mr. Gonzalez was nominated by Maria Cudequest and seconded by Mr. Rooney.
- No other members of the public were present including the candidates.
- As a result of Ms. Cudequest and Mr. Rooney nominating and seconding them at this two-person caucus, Mr. Steinberg and Mr. Gonzalez now will receive a second line on the ballot in the Village election.
Do you feel manipulated? As candidates attempting to compete fairly in this process by attending a caucus of over 60 people and submitting a petition of 139 resident signatures, we certainly do.
— Ann Gallelli & Charlie Kane, Candidates for Trustee