From Bizarre to Despicable…

April 3, 2006

During the regularly scheduled Village of Croton-on-Hudson Board of Trustees meeting held on Monday, April 3, 2006, Can Do! (see also: “Croton Residents Form Group to Decorate Outdoors”) founding member, long-standing Metro Enviro critic and sometime political/editorial cartoonist Richard Pellicci took to the podium during the “citizen participation agenda items” portion of the meeting and went off topic with another of his Crotonblog zingers (see also: “Entering Bizarre World”).

Option: Download and watch this video clip of “From Bizarre to Despicable…” in Quicktime format (00:38 min. | 984 kb).

Video transcript:

Richard Pellicci: “Richard Pellicci, 65 Radnor Avenue. Before I speak, I just have a question. Um, is there anything that can be done about having residents videostreamed on that despicable Croton blog?”

Mayor Gregory Schmidt: “I don’t know. And we have to find that out.”

Richard Pellicci: “Could someone find that out because I’d rather really not, I’d rather not be on it.”

Editor’s note: In the case of the broadcast image of village board meetings, any publication or graphic image produced by a public entity supported by taxes is automatically in the public domain. See also: The U.S. Copyright Office.

On April 5, 2006 7:48 PM, waffels said:

The problem Mr. Simpson is that this man is a mean spirited bully. His “political” cartoons lampooning good hard working people have no place in a small village and to make his point he slams whoever doesn’t agree with him and his croonies. Yes, people are allowed to have an opinion but basic respect for fellow human beings is part of the privilage. I don’t like him and I am expressing my opinion………

On April 5, 2006 12:41 PM, dors said:

Pellicci must feel comfortable standing up at a village meeting, calmed and emboldened by the likeminded current board but apparently uncomfortable being downloaded on the blog where people might disagree with him. Why else would he ask not to be videostreamed? Mr. Simpson, how disingenuous of you to say that Pellicci “ended up on this site due to the childish attitude of bloggers and moderators”. What does that mean, anyway? Open government is open government. As a taxpayer I want access to board meetings that take place in this village. Pellicci knew when he stood up to that mike he would be videostreamed. Let’s stop with the theatrics and get on with the facts.

As for people being cowardly when posting with a pseudonym, so what! There are a lot of immature and small minded people in this town that snicker and sneer at people with opposing view points. I’ve seen it at board meetings and I’ve experienced it personally so stop being so righteous.

Susan Dorien

On April 5, 2006 10:17 AM, Just The Facts said:

Hey Frank,

The point is that the Board meetings are a public forum. They are open to all residents and non residents, they are broadcasted on cable tv, they are (sometimes) reported on in papers and yes, they are sometimes included on Croton Blog.

If we are to take Mr. Pellicci’s request seriously, whats next, blacking out the cable tv feed when certain people speak. Lets not be ridiculous.

Every single trustee both those that were elected and those that lost, ran on an agenda promoting “open government”. Any medium that gets raw and unfiltered events directly to the residents should be applauded.

On April 5, 2006 9:31 AM, weewill said:

You are absolutely rght, Frank Simpson, Mr. Pellicci has a right to an opinion. Unfortunately, for those of us on the receiving end of his opinions, (more false accusations and rudeness than opinions!) we have been bruised and battered by his suggestive innuendo and insults.

I do know Mr. Pellicci. I’ve had to listen to his insults and tirades for close to 5 years. I’ve been the unfortunate recipient of his personal and venomous public attacks time and time again. As a board member and public official I had to sit silently by and bear the hurtful barbs of his “opinions”.

Now, no longer a “public official”, I am free to answer his uncontrolled nastiness with my own opinion. And I choose to do so on the blog. It’s a wonderful forum for correcting unfounded statements and inaccurate conclusions.

I’m sorry Mr. Pellicci doesn’t want to be seen or quoted verbatum on the blog. Perhaps he’s challenged by the realization that someone might question his false information and make him look more ridiculous than he already does.

Hey … payback is a witch!

Georgianna Grant - aka WeeWill Free and Very Happy X Trustee

On April 5, 2006 3:22 AM, FrankOnline said:

WOAH! LAST I CHECKED, RESIDENTS WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION. IT SEEMS THAT THE STALINIST NATURE OF SO MANY BLOGGERS STANDS IN DIRECT CONTRAVENTION OF WHAT CROTON BLOG IS “SUPPOSED TO BE” ALL ABOUT.

SINCE I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING REALLY ABOUT RICHARD PELLICCI I WILL NOT COMMENT, AS OTHERS HAVE, ON HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS AND MOTIVES.

I LOOK AT THE SITUATION LIKE THIS: MR. PELLICCI (OR JOE RESIDENT) ASKS NOT TO BE PUT ON CROTON BLOG FOR WHATEVER REASON YET, IN LIGHT OF SUCH A CLEAR REQUEST, HE STILL ENDS UP ON THIS SITE. I HAVE TO THINK THAT THIS IS IN PART DUE TO THE CHILDISH ATTITUDE OF MANY WHO POST AND/OR MODERATE THIS BLOG.

PEOPLE WHO COME ON HERE LIKE WEEWILL WRITE ANGRY, HATE-FILLED COMMENTS THAT THEY WOULD NEVER SAY TO THAT PERSONS FACE. THE ANONYMITY, WHILE OFFERING A CHANCE FOR PEOPLE TO VENT, ALSO OFFERS THE CHANCE FOR COWARDS TO “TAKE A STAND”. OH, HOW THE TONE OF WEEWILL HAS CHANGED SINCE THE PERSON BEHIND THE MASK WAS REVEALED.

I THINK THAT THE BLOGGERS/MODERATORS OF CROTON BLOG SHOULD RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BE ARROGANT ANTAGONISTS AND RATHER FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES OF CROTON INSTEAD OF MAKING THIS AN ON-LINE P*SSING MATCH.

FRANK SIMPSON

On April 4, 2006 8:33 PM, waffels said:

What a shame…….. “Can Do” is such a wonderful thing for this village and now I come to learn that such an obnoxious man is a part of it. He needs to be plastered all over this blog as well as the gazette (ha-ha) to expose him for who he really is…….. I’m sorry that now, I will not be joining “Can Do” for future projects. I have to think that as people get to know this man and his controlling ways the group is doomed…….. sad for the village……..

On April 4, 2006 4:06 PM, Binford said:

Mr. Pellicci’s request was funny. I’d still be laughing (thank you Croton Blog for this bit of humor) except that it was followed by an ominous sounding comment from the Mayor that “we” have to find out if there’s a way to keep the Blog from videostreaming what people say at Board meetings. What happened to open government? Does Mr. Pellicci also object to being quoted in the Gazette? Maybe the Mayor can also look into that.

On April 4, 2006 2:54 PM, weewill said:

No surprise that Mr. Pellicci would “rather really not be on …. that despicable crotonblog” videostream. It does indeed show him to be ill-mannered, ill-informed and pretty despicable himself. Not a pretty picture.

Alas Mr. Pellicci …. we’re forced to listen to your misguided and accusatory opinions each and every time you speak before the Village Board. But there’s nothing we or the village board can or should do to infringe upon your right to free speech. Regardless of how old, tired and misinformed your tirades might be.

Videostreaming on crotonblog provides residents with a true picture of a speaker’s intent. Some demonstrate a search for answers and desire to be helpful. Others clearly have personal agendas and can be pretty nasty and suspicious. The videostreams allow us to see and assess for ourselves if there is value to a speakers remarks.

If Mr. Pellicci doesn’t like what he sees, perhaps he might try a change in his approach and attitude. Even a slight shift toward courtesy and demeanor might well improve his image.

On April 4, 2006 2:18 PM, Mrs. Smith said:

And I find the way that Mr. Pellicci used to address the Board of Trustees bizarre and sometimes despicable. Seems what goes around, comes around.