May 3, 2006
The following notable took place this day:
- 1999 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above 11,000 for the first time.
- 1971 - National Public Radio broadcast for the first time.
- 1969 - Jimi Hendrix was arrested when Canadian customs officials found heroin in his bag.
- 1936 - Joe DiMaggio (New York Yankees) made his major league debut. He got three hits.
- 1921 - West Virginia imposed the first state sales tax.
- 1919 - Folk music legend Pete Seeger was born.
- 1802 - Washington, DC, was incorporated as a city.