Croton Trustees Change Tracks and Pursue Negotiations with Regus Industries

July 20, 2006

A usually reliable source that wishes not to be identified tells Crotonblog that on Monday, July 17, 2006, during an executive session, in a 3-2 vote, the village board authorized special counsel Michael Gerrard to prepare a first-draft counter to a recent offer made by representatives from Regus Industries LLC, its affiliates and Greentree Realty LLC during a recent “listening session” that he attended with Village Manager Rick Herbek.

Exact details of the counter-offer have made not yet been made public. However, Crotonblog has learned that Mr. Gerrard has not been authorized by the the village board to extend the deadlines of any pending litigation.

On July 21, 2006 5:43 PM, waffels said:

The above mentioned political divide in this village can all be attributed to the Newt Gingrich “freshman Republican” idea that came out of Washington in his(newts) time. The “whatever, however, no matter how brutal we must win idea” that the nut instilled and succesfully utilized to win the house and change politics as we know them today. Her heighness Deb McCarthy, and John Sarcone were products of this idea. They pounded and pointed fingers at their oponents and scared the hell out of the constituency until they swayed opinion. If they lost they continued to pound and “lie” and mis inform until thye achieved they’re goal of win win win …..I think our current commander in chief in DC has utilized the same idea but it may be starting to backfire because he has gotten greedy and the results are starting to show. I’m looking forward to getting back to small town, politcally motivated debate and when the election is over get down to business for the better of the village. The problem now is the first meeting after the elections the “moles” are already preparing for the following years elections taking up the boards time with finger pointing and crap for the advancement of their agenda. Personally I think the board should vote to limit time to speak to 3-5 min. If someone really has some good positive information they need the board to hear I am sure they would, and should sit, outside the meeting and listen. Not allow the long winded camera mongers to take up everyones time. Let the village board do the job they were elected to do.

On July 21, 2006 12:29 PM, dors said:

Scott, it’s called small town politics with big town problems. The former transfer station became a political battlefield. Your comment that most residents don’t care about a transfer station are probably correct. I had to giggle when you said you didn’t know where Metro Enviro (ME) was; I bet that’s true for many residents. Exaggerated threats of deadly diseases, stinking garbage, and life threatening air particles became the call of the insane. I hate to reduce this problem to partisan politics but there was such a chasm between the democratic board majority looking for workable solutions to ME and the republicans misinformation and innuendo. Any mention of fact finding or meeting with ME became the republicans battle cry. Our village is now stuck in an awful mess with no end in sight. You’re right, Scott, that an insane amount of time and money has been wasted and it’s frightening to think how much more will be spent before this is over.

On July 20, 2006 8:40 PM, sdavidson said:

Why are people so concerned about the former metro enviro site? I’ve lived in the Village for eighteen years and it has never bothered me. I wasn’t even sure where it was untill someone brought it to my attention.

I haven’t paid as close attention as many of the people who comment here, but it seems to me that a small group of determined people are hell bent on ensuring that there will be no waste transfer site in Croton, even if such a site is not in a residential area.

An insane ammount of time and resources have been expended in the fight to keep this kind of buisness out of Croton, and I can’t imagine that most residents really care either way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-Scott

On July 20, 2006 1:14 PM, weewill said:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Mr. Red. You raise some real food for thought. It is indeed troubling - to say nothing about pitting neighbor against neighbor. I’ve long been a “political junkie”. I love politics and the opportunity for sound and reasoned honest disagreements.

As a democrat I’ve served and worked with the finest republicans around - Stan Kellerhose, Bill Ryder, Guy Adami, Roland Bogardus and many others. We’ve fought and argued and even screamed and yelled on occasion, but there was never the animosity and strict adherence to party lines as there is today.

Contradiction for contradiction’s sake had no place in these arguments. We were always able to give and take and recognized and engaged in healthy debate over all angles of an issue.

In the end we recognized that we were Crotonites first and republican or democrats second.

Georgianna Grant

On July 20, 2006 12:23 PM, Mr. Red said:

I agree with you Georgianna. I think that it is prudent of the Board to explore all avenues that may prevent us from spiraling into fiscal ruin (eminent domain proceedings, etc). However, what I find troubling is the apparent Democrat/Republican split to the vote. Of course, I am assuming this to be the case but a pattern has been seen like this for many years. My only wish is that we had a board that agreed more often rather than be contradictory for contradiction’s sake.

On July 20, 2006 11:54 AM, weewill said:

My thanks to the members of the Village Board that voted to continue discussions with the principals of a potential operation at 1A Croton Point Avenue. There is nothing to be lost by doing so and, if anything, only good can come from it, even an end to the all consuming litigations.

This is a clear demonstration of their commitment to seek the very best results for the village. Clearly there are diverse opinions about what should and should not have been in the past and what should or should not be in the present and in the future. There is no way to satisfy every individual. It’s been said that the best result of negotiation and arbitration is that both sides walk away a little bit satisfied.

This willingness to pursue all avenues of available options is the responsible and courageous position for the board to pursue. Our quality of life is at stake and I and many, many Croton residents applaud the board for taking this approach.

Georgianna Grant