To Robert Wintermeier, an Apology...

August 31, 2006

Crotonblog: Letters to the Editor, Croton-on-Hudson, New York 10520
A letter from Robert Wintermeier in The Gazette on August 31, 2006, is correct. A portion of what I wrote in my letter the previous week was incorrect. I should have checked the village board meeting videotape again before writing my letter. I misinterpreted his words and misquoted him.

My apologies to Mr. Wintermeier.

— Georgianna Grant

On September 11, 2006 12:36 PM, dors said:

villager123, just to clarify further. I went back to the Jan. 20, ‘06 transcript where this brouhaha started. Mr. Wintermeier said the word negotiate no less than 11 times during the board meeting. He never made reference to “the n word” or anything of the like. It was the publicist of the Crotonblog who titled the article “Bob Wintermeier Utters the N-Word…” that started this mess. We need to be done with this now because you’re right, there are so many pressing issues that need our attention.

On September 10, 2006 8:28 PM, villager123 said:

waffels…i understnad your concern for this issue. and because this is a blog, i understand that we can all freely state our own opions. In my perspective, when Bob referred to the N word as negotiate, he explained his reason for cause during the town meeting. On a different note, I dont understand why the publicist reported the title as ‘Wintermeier utter’s the “n” word”. That is what i was referring to as an outrage. I definately believe this has gotten out of hand and should have been settled a long time ago though. But, lets get over this situation. Lets move on. Lets work as a town on more important problems.

On September 10, 2006 5:50 PM, waffels said:

Villager123….I’m not sure I understand what you are saying….The expression “the n word” did not originate in Croton. It originated in LA when OJ was on trial for murder and Johnny Cochran was cross examining Ex LAPD officer Mark Furnman about his racist past and instead of using the entire “n” word he referred to it as the “n” word. For weeks we all heard about the “N” word, night/day/paper/TV…..it bothered me then and it still bothers me today even if it means “Negotiate” in this case…….If OJ was never on trial Mr. Wintermier and all who followed would never have used the expression “the n word” when referring to the word negotiate. That’s all I was saying. My concerns for the use of the “n” word phrase got mixed in with Georgianna Grants apology to Bob Wintermeier. Her need to apologize stemmed for his starting this whole “n” word thing. It never should have been used and it should cease to be used. This is just my opinion. This is a “blog” where opinions are stated. It is too free a use of an expression that has a very ugly origin. So, I’m not sure what the “outrage” is maybe share a little more detail…town, zoo, degrading bob?…..let us know….

On September 9, 2006 8:09 PM, villager123 said:

this is an outrage. to refer to the ‘n’ word puts an instant reaction into peoples minds. Little to their knowledge, in this case, ‘n’ is referring to negotitate. To those of you who are degrading Bob and thinking of this attack as not a big deal, it is. Come on now, lets act like a town and not a zoo.

On September 3, 2006 12:28 AM, waffels said:

sorry….I appreciate it’s effect in getting attention but before Johnny Cochran I had never heard the phrase “the N Word” used, so much and it got lots of airtime. I think that it’s original use in this ME case was using it with OJ and Johnny in mind. Why not just say “no negotiating”. You ask anyone that is tied into american media even a little bit what the “n” word is and I will bet the farm that most if not all won’t say “negotiate” so with that it shouldn’t be used and is in bad taste….

On September 2, 2006 9:33 PM, onlineoddities said:

I do not think that using the term “N-word” to refer to negotiate trivializes the term or is offensive to blacks. While it may be theatrics and inneundo it is not offensive and it seems to be understood by all involved to mean negotiate.

On September 2, 2006 10:14 AM, waffels said:

Utilizing the expression “the “n” word” is very unsettling to me. It is being thrown around this blog very freely and I believe it’s original reference was not to “negotiate” or not with ME but the OJ trial when referring to LAPD officer Mark Furmans(?) racist use of the “N” word…..There is a horrible history attached here and is still out there today. For suburban “white” people to use this expression so freely doesn’t seem like there is much understanding.

On September 2, 2006 9:45 AM, dors said:

Although I felt an apology was in order I commend you for doing the right thing. I must add, however, that Mr. Wintermeier’s comments were easy to misinterpret. He said one thing but intimated another. He never used the foul “n” word in it’s entirety but why refer to the “n” word at all? If he wanted to say negotiate, say negotiate and be on with it. Again with the theatrics and innuendo. For him to get indignant and “demand an apology” was self-serving but predictable.

On August 31, 2006 4:47 PM, Mrs. Smith said:

Well done, Georgianna, for admitting that you made a mistake - You have shown yourself to be a much bigger person than he is. Perhaps Wintermeier and his cohorts Pellici, Cudaquest, Rooney and Minnet can take a page from your book and apologize for all the mistruths they perpetrate between them each week in the Gazette, and anywhere they can get anyone to listen to them.