September 8, 2006
Today is the 251st day of the year – there are 114 days remaining in 2006
It has been 1,223 days since “Mission Accomplished” was declared in Iraq by our War President George W. Bush - the mid-term campaign rhetoric has begun…don’t buy it his speeches are all recycled from 5 years ago.
Notable history from this date:
- 1997 – AOL buys H&R Block’s Compuserve-remember them?- from Worldcom-remember them?- in a 3 way deal. H&R Block walked away with $1.2BN.
- 1974 – Republican President Ford pardons his predecessor Richard Nixon for his illegal activities surrounding Watergate
- 1943 – Italy surrenders to Allies in WW II
- 1935 – Frank Sinatra sings on radio for 1st time with the Hoboken Four
- 1930 – The 3M Corp. begins marketing Scotch transparent tape
- 1900 – A powerful hurricane hits Galveston, TX (before they were named) killing 8,000 people
- 1664 – New Amsterdam is surrendered by the Dutch to the British who would rename it New York in 1669