What motivates people to exercise and stay fit? It helps if it's not solely for appearance and health reasons.
For example, I realized I loved bike riding not because it was a great calorie burner, but because I had so much fun doing it (I was conquering my fears--see last week's blog post called "What Are You Afraid Of?") and I felt like a kid again.
So during my climbs up and down the hills, I came up with some reasons why. What follows are my top 10 ways cycling makes me feel like a kid again. Please let me know your additions to the list--either by commenting on this blog or emailing me at email@example.com.
Now stop acting your age! And get outside.
10. I'd rather be outside having fun than inside doing my homework (or in this case housework!).
9. I like to go downhill as fast as I can.
8. Sometimes I feel like screaming my head off with glee (while still keeping both hands on the bike - I'm not that crazy).
7. If my mother could see what I'm doing, she'd have a fit.
6. I look like I'm wearing a diaper (it's the padded shorts).
5. Sometimes my tush gets chafed.
4. To soothe it, I put white cream on it (in this case, it's called Chamois Butter, not Balmex).
3. My nose is always running.
2. I wipe it with my hand.
1. I like to play in the road. (But I always look both ways before I cross the street.)
Miss Fit, also known as Eve Hartman, is a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer who gladly makes house calls (even for those who are afraid to be seen in a gym) and loves to get people outside road cycling (to help you overcome your fear of falling). For more information, please call 914-588-0591 or visit www.cyclicaltraining.com.