Some Answers to Recent Questions Asked on Crotonblog...

June 28, 2007

Crotonblog: Letters to the Editor, Croton-on-Hudson, New York 10520
To the editor,

Regarding the access to the walk on the river side of Half Moon Bay, it is open to Croton residents and their guests.

On the matter of the four junked cars at the Echo boat launch, I also saw them, took pictures and reported the situation. Although I don’t think this is an appropriate place to locate these cars, I was told that they are ‘temporarily’ located there for a Fire Department exercise on how to deal with extreme situations concerning car accidents. I was told that this is for a period of no more than two weeks. I requested that an explanatory sign be put there. However these cars should not be parked there in future instances because they lend themselves to the idea that this is a dumping area.

Ann Gallelli, Trustee, Village of Croton-on-Hudson

On June 29, 2007 1:21 PM, weewill said:

Ooops! I mean to say I wish all board members would use Crotonblog as a means to disseminate information and enter into give and take conversations with their constituents.

It goes without saying, they should use EVERY venue they can to further communication. Email as well as Crotonblog!

Georgianna

On June 29, 2007 11:19 AM, weewill said:

And people ask “why Crotonblog?” The above exchange is exactly why.”

This is good, important information about life in Croton. It is precisely the kind of exchange we need to share with one other as neighbors seeking to understand different views and to live in peace and harmony. The Blog provides a valuable source of such infromation in a quick and timely manner. It encourages citizen participation in a government that is often very hard to reach.

I sincerely wish all the board members would use email. It has tremendous capability for meaningful and useful interaction with them. Email and computer technology used to be known as the “tool of the future” in communications. It’s now the “tool of the present” and is an efficient and effective way to speak with one another!

Since this board has pledged increased and improved communications with the public and clear and open government, I suggest one of the best ways to start would be for them to use email. It would vastly enhance our participation, understanding and interaction with them .

Georgianna

On June 29, 2007 10:19 AM, notorc said:

That’s great information Ann, thanks. So, it seems the Gazebo, the picnic tables and the land is the marina’s property and not the village. Therefore, HMB is being kind by letting village residents enjoy the area.

Please realize you are not allowed to grill on your boat so folks with boats have to grill at the gazebo. Therefore it makes sense to me that they want to keep the area available for the marina owners/renters. Luckily, there’s plenty of park space in Croton.

I’m curious as to why a restaurant was not developed there. It seems like a great spot for one with terriffic views. Water/sewer/electric should be available, was it a parking issue?

On June 29, 2007 9:51 AM, Stu said:

Dear Just the Facts, Your questions are good ones and relate to the easement/covenant the Village signed with HMB in the early 90’s as a condition of its original approval in the late 80’s. The covenant provides for the use of the walkway that runs between the condominium units and the river by residents of Croton, their families and guests during daylight hours. Dogs are not mentioned in the covenant and, as far as I know, there is no specific rule about them regarding this walkway either by the Village or the HMB association. However, dogs throughout the village may be walked on leashes except in public parks and on school property.

With regard to the gazebo and the tables at the north end of the walkway near the marina. They are the property of the marina owner and not the village. The gazebo was originally located further to the north in the area that is now the Elliott Way road. Prior to construction of the road, it was moved to its current location. The site where the gazebo is located is marina-owned property but it does sit partially in the village easement. An informal path around it from the parking area to the beginning of the riverfront walkway at HMB has developed and is used by both marina and walkway users.

On June 29, 2007 9:15 AM, notorc said:

Who owns the gazebo? I assumed it was the marina and if it is, is it on their property or village property?

I doubt HMB residents like it but, village residents are allowed to walk on the path. I’ve never done it since I usually have my kids with bikes but I’m sure it’s a treat. HMB cannot re-neg on their deal but similar to the fireboat (now at CYC instead of HMB), I guess they will.

In regards to the cars, that’s a disgrace. Everyone passing by on Metro North will see Croton as a junk yard. With all the property the fire department has, why would they use the canoe launch?

I get the impression the FD is allowed to do what ever it pleases. For instance, anyone notice the TWO new motors on the fire boat? Was it really necessary to upgrade to brand new twin engines? Assuming it was, what happened to the old motors? Motors like that cost tens of thousands of dollars…I didn’t see the old motor up for auction…hopefully it was and I just missed it.

On June 28, 2007 10:50 PM, Just The Facts said:

Ann, thanks for the responses. But, I have the following additional comments/questions.

1) If the gazebo and tables are open to residents, why are there signs in the gazebo to the contrary?

2) I was told in the past that residents were permitted to walk their dogs along the riverwalk on a leash. This was told to me by the rec dept manager as well as the security guard at Half Moon Bay. I have heard otherwise from some residents at half moon bay. Do you know the answer to this question?