Notice Anything Different?

July 13, 2007

The volume of comments on Crotonblog has increased tremendously.

Until now we have been following the practice—common on many blogs—of showing the oldest comments first. But this requires readers to work their way through the oldest comments to read the most recent.

So we stood the comments on their head.

Any comment you make now will appear first instead of last—saving valuable reading time. Our aim is a blog easier to read and to use.

ItÂ’’s a done deal. See for yourself. If you want to comment about the new look of Crotonblog’s comments, you can add one here.

On July 17, 2007 4:26 PM, waffels said:

Oldtimer….I think that the evolution of a topic is wonderful….if bloggers made their point and left it at that it would be over…conversation, which this is to some degree, should have depth and detail and illicit response…..I like the way it just keeps on going and growing and sometimes blowing….it’s fun

On July 16, 2007 11:41 AM, TeaDrinker said:

It’s curious how some people will resist change. Funny, no one ever complained about the Police Blotter, which has been in chronological order since Day One. Put me down as supporting the new order of comments.

A major complaint I have about Crotonblog is that commenters do not stay on topic. Comments to a recent letter to the editor about the absence of tables and seating at Black Rock Park wandered all over the map, with half the 28 comments being about Half Moon Bay, and the rest about dogs, dumping at the former skate park, signage and burned out cars at the canoe launch, to name a few of the off-topic posts.

On July 16, 2007 10:59 AM, TeaDrinker said:

I shouldn’t have to defend myself against the silly charge by “bojangles” that I support the new look “because I’m only interested in my own posts.” In the entire life of Crotonblog I have only posted three comments. Such speculation about motives only sows discord. My only allegiance is to logic. Reader “bojangles” can just as easily trace the thread of any topic by going to the end of the comment queue and scrolling up instead of down. It’s that simple.

On July 15, 2007 7:33 PM, waffels said:

Now if you could have the comment box appear at the top of the page when one wants to comment that would be great…..with that said, I do scroll down the posts to see who said what and try to get the overall vibe of the subject before I write., but as weewill said it will be seen whether people like it or not…..

On July 15, 2007 11:31 AM, dors said:

No bojangles, it’s not possible that we are only interested in our own posts. That doesn’t even make sense. Past comments won’t be lost they’ll just be in chronological order. A much easier and user-friendly way to read a blog.

On July 14, 2007 6:42 PM, bojangles said:

Is it possible that Dors and Logician are only interested in their own posts? Weewill has a point - it would be really bad to lose the thread of the comments. They often build on each other and allow the reader to form a more rounded opinion.

On July 14, 2007 12:30 PM, TeaDrinker said:

Putting comments in a queue with the latest up front is a great idea. The new look of Crotonblog’s comments makes good sense and is logical. What’s more, it’s considerate of readers. It’s the way news stories are written. In fact, it’s the natural order of things, putting in the past what happened in the past. Some blogs got off on the wrong foot by lazily putting everything in reverse order.

Thanks for making Crotonblog easier to use. Who wants to scroll down through 28 comments extending over a two-week period only to discover that nothing new has been added? It’s so much better with the latest comment to each post up front and easily accessible. Keep up the good work!

On July 14, 2007 10:42 AM, dors said:

Oh weewill, someone always has to throw a wrench into the works and worry about the what ifs :-)

I think it’s a great idea to put the most recent post first and I’m glad you did it. It will make for easier, quicker reading.

On July 14, 2007 9:25 AM, weewill said:

Interesting idea but I’ll reserve judgment until we see how it works for a while. My concern is that often one comment is in answer to a previous comment and I wonder if changing the order will interrupt the smooth flow of thoughts.