Occidents Will Happen: Mayor Greg Schmidt Cuts Ribbon at New Nail Salon

July 29, 2007

mayor-greg-schmidt-floris-nail-spa-croton-on-hudson.jpg

Donning white gloves and wearing two proverbial hats was Croton Mayor and Chamber of Commerce president Dr. Gregory Schmidt outside the Floris Nail Salon & Spa in the Van Wyck shopping center on Saturday, July 28, 2007. With scissors in hand among a veritable uptown crowd of formally dressed salon partners, Dr. Schmidt cut the ribbons that signified the grand opening of Croton’s newest beauty salon. Like a scene straight out of Beverly Hills, it was all Hollywood with a dozen photographers snapping pictures of the smiling group.

floris-nail-spa-croton-on-hudson-2.jpg

Once inside the shop, visitors were treated to “Champagne Wishes & Caviar Dreams,” complete with beautiful Asian women in evening gowns, passing wine and hors d’ oeuvres.

floris-nail-spa-croton-on-hudson-5.jpg

Those who decided to linger while waiting for the gourmet buffet to begin could relax on plush furniture surrounded by lavish floral arrangements.

floris-nail-spa-croton-on-hudson-4.jpg

On August 16, 2007 5:15 PM, BCCroton said:

For Greengurl and any other aspiring entrepreneur. If you didn’t know, we opened the Black Cow in ‘95 and in 2000 we opened the Blue Pig. The space became available and we didn’t even know what we were going to do but we knew it was a great space and it needed something good. With lots of money, sweat, more money and sweat we put the blinders on and dove right in with no doubt that it would work. I am sorry I ever sold it, we just needed to do that at the time. Good, creative businesses do work in Croton. We need to find the people to do them. If you have a good idea go for it. It can be very rewarding, hard work but very rewarding also. There are so many cute spaces in this village, people just need to bring the ideas. Let the nay-sayers keep naying, this is a very viable town for all the businesses people want.

Michael Grant Owner Black Cow

On August 16, 2007 2:16 PM, greengurl said:

In regards to dors question -

I would love to put my magic pill, where my mouth is, but I don’t think it is wise for me to get into too much detail answering questions about things I have no knowledge of, such as how to run a small government.

I used this blog as a griping platform about a town that seems to be, well, catching cold or flu. I did find Mr. Black Cow’s honest input about small business life really enlightening and wish there were more people like him in the world. I moved here because there is no Starbucks, and there are not too many free standing chain stores. I simply wish there were a few more Black Cows to go around.

It makes me sad that only “upscale” towns seem to have quaint towns. Maybe the magic is in the money or the parking like Dors suggested. Katonah is definitley not my “Xanadu” but I really find it a great place, even though I chose to live in Croton, over Katonah. Certain things about Katonah do not fit in with my lifestyle which I do not need to explain on this blog.

So thank you for the questions Dors. They are good ones and I will certainly think about it. And, thank you again Mr. Black Cow for your insight into the life of a small business owner. I applaud you for creating such an amazing institution here in Croton. It comes through loud and clear that your shop is a labor of love for you. You are truly an inspiration to me.

On August 15, 2007 10:53 AM, BCCroton said:

Small business success in a village like ours is completely dependent on finding people that want to run a small business. We are a rare breed. It is a wonderful life/experience but it is not for everyone or maybe even most. Personally I love it but it does come with the extra baggage of being a small business owner. No real vacations, if your store is open you are there whether you are physically there or not, you will never have lots of money unless you decide to no longer remain a “small business” and you have the skills to expand up. Retirement is all you, and most retailers I talk to say they will never stop working anyway. Maybe that’s part of the make-up. You can’t be affraid to work, maybe not so much physically but definitely mentally. You have to like people, all kinds, good, bad whatever. I tell the kids that work for me if someone is pissy on line don’t take it personally because it’s not about you. Smile and give them better service. Anyone that mentions to me the desire to open a small business in Croton I always say “go for it”. So many people have great ideas but not many are willing to put up the time and money to get them going. Croton will support any good idea. It is hard work and you need to be committed. This time of year I see people going on vacation. In the last 12 years I have been away with my family for a vacation twice. My wife Peggy and I go away seperately with our kids so one of us is still around in case something comes up. It’s the life we chose and I do like it. Greengurls comments are good intentioned I’m sure but it does require a very committed “small business brained” person to put the business ideas to practice.

Michael Grant Owner Black Cow

On August 14, 2007 6:37 PM, dors said:

So greengurl, do you live in Katonah or want Croton to be like Katonah? Maybe I missed something but most, if not all, of your posts mention Katonah. Is that your Xanadu or do you live there? Having said that, what are your suggestions for getting a chamber of commerce to stop ‘snoozing at the wheel’? How do villages entice businesses into their towns? What’s the magic pill? Who has the formula to get new business to rejuvenate an upper village?

I was disappointed to see a nail place next to Zeytinia but where are the new shops? Where are the shoppers? Where are the entrepreneurs? A store will only succeed if people shop there. No parking-no shoppers; no money-no business. Love the concept of a facelife for store fronts but who pays? The shop owners who are just starting out? We need to frequent the stores in our town. Forget the malls! We all need to shop locally and think locally. The more money we spend the more money the store owners have to do the ‘razz-ma-tazz’ to their store fronts. They’ll stay if we shop.

On August 14, 2007 2:17 PM, greengurl said:

Hi Crotonites -

The congestion appears to show that a lot of folks like the “upscale” feeling of the Zeytinia shopping mall. Maybe the reason why the Sav-Mor parking lot is always empty is because it is a bit tired looking. That blue bubble sign is tomorrow’s landfill waiting to happen and is an gigantic eyesore.

I personally love the modern clean look of the new nail salon. My feeling is that the rest of Croton could use a bit of a “facelift.” The Harmon area looks more and more depressed with many vacancies. We need some type of plan or vision for our town here in Croton. The chamber of commerce is snoozing at the wheel. Things like marketing, classy signage, street fairs, and business maps will help promote the local economy.

The zone of business that loops from the train station, along 9A, up Brook Street to the village and back down Maple street is the heart of Croton. Parking along those areas, being spread out, will be less of a problem than let’s say, everyone concentrated into 1 shopping mall. Call me a dreamer but I can squint my eyes and see Croton having that main street home town feeling that Katonah does. I see the bigger issue as being that Croton is lacking in the reinvention department.

On August 12, 2007 8:55 PM, al-asr said:

It’s not the parking I’m worried about. I have already resigned myslf to walking to Zeytinia and the post office (all I ever need in that shopping complex) if need be. What I would like to know is what is behind the fanfare of having a ribbon-cutting ceremony for ANOTHER nail salon in Croton. It makes me suspect of where political money is filed (get it?). As for folks complaining about the parking lot…get outta your cars: walk or bike, you know it’s a hell hole of a parking lot, and carbon emissions are a bad thing. Bring your business elsewhere if you can’t stand it, or if you can’t walk or bike there……I do , and my blood pressure is so so fine!!!!! We never needed that CVS if you ask me. And you just don’t find the parking problems at the Sav More lot….hmmmmm.

I’m sure the nail spa will have reserved, designated parking before we know it.

Good luck all!!!!!

I’m sorry for the grocery store, the wine store and the post office…..poor things…….

On July 31, 2007 11:07 PM, supersilver322 said:

I have a very creative solution to the parking “Problem”. How about walking or biking to cvs or the black cow once in a while. I understand this is not possible for all village residents, but i assure you that it is for many. Much of croton is within .75 a mile of the parking lot. And hey, it’s good for the environment and your body. Also, i have never really had trouble finding parking in that lot when i do drive there, but that’s just me.

On July 30, 2007 12:53 PM, weewill said:

Sure! We’re welcoming yet another Nail Salon so we can count on parking to become even worse. And as I understand it this is to be quite an “upscale” salon and spa where luxurious treatments can take upwards of a full hour to complete. It’s bad now with quick run in and out errands at CVS, Zetinia and the Post Office and we can bet it will become impossible.

Sure … Lots is being done…. not to ease the parking situation but to dramatically add to it!

The dumpsters should never have been allowed for the length of time they’ve been sitting there. They’ve exceeded their limited welcome.

Neither should the Zetinia vans be taking up parking spaces in the lot.

Delivery trucks to the liquor store are forever blocking the aisle in front of the store and Post Office and with the recent expansion of the store, we can only asume it will get worse.

And as an after thought …. what’s with the village heavy equipment (blacktopping and heavy road equipment) being “stored” at the Skatepark site? Yesterday, there was even a garbage truck parked there!

Not nice at all, scarring one of the Gateways to our Village. Help!!!

On July 30, 2007 11:58 AM, Red Hill Resident said:

Has anyone tried to park in this lot recently? Five spaces are taken up by some storage containers and another is being occupied by a dumpster. It was utter chaos midday Saturday. It seems like parking is at critical mass and getting worse. Is the village addressing this problem?