A Bronx Tale

March 20, 2008

Crotonblog: Letters to the Editor, Croton-on-Hudson, New York 10520
To the editor:

I was disheartened to hear of a negative reference to the fine Borough of the Bronx on your website today (See: “Thoughts While Strolling (10),” March 17, 2008). Some of us love that place.

Now that we have selected capable Trustees for the upcoming two board seats, the Village of Croton-on-Hudson and its residents should be thankful for those who dedicate their time and efforts to improving the safety and quality of life of our residents and families, particularly with regard to bicycle and pedestrian safety, which one of the recent candidates that did not win the election has fought tirelessly to promote.

— Josh Moreinis, Village of Croton-on-Hudson Bicycle/Pedestrian Planning Committee

On March 20, 2008 7:40 PM, waffels said:

Ohio, key word “politicized”…….I refer to my previous post….sorry

On March 20, 2008 7:20 PM, ohio-to-hudson said:

Here’s the thing. Josh Morenus is one of a treasured few who really knows how to work in a non-partisan way, and thoughtfully listens to all who participate in meetings, such as the bike-ped committee. Why crack all this open??? why for this post??? hunh??? If ‘we’ don’t put down the broad brushes for a minute, we’ll never get out of this campaign season. Worse, when EVERYTHING is politicized, it’s harder for volunteer committees and boards to do the work they’re eager to accomplish.

On March 20, 2008 6:34 PM, weewill said:

Brx/Bklyn/COH -

I applaud anyone who speaks out for a friend. I will do so now, with passion, for a long-time wonderful friend, Ann Gallelli.

I’ve known Ann for over 40 years. She and I have both worked our tails off in many, many volunteer organizations and commissions over the years and I speak from first-hand experience to her capabilities and yes, passion. Believe me, it’s still there!

From Croton Community Nursery School to Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, PTSA, and athletic events as coaches as well as participants. She has been a wife. a mothers, and has raised two great kids. She’s an extraordinary gardner, fabulous tennis player and teaches and shares these talents with her many friends. She’s given tirelessly to friends, neighbors and her community. She stretched her already full schedule even further, and worked outside our community with organizations seeking grants and aid for her work in Croton. Because of her commitment and broad experience, she has served as President or Chair of a many of these boards. It’s no exaggeration to say that she has done more and served longer than any volunteer in the history of our village.

Ann never “tip-toes around an issue. She speaks clearly and succinctly with facts and figures to back up her positions. She is an incredibly informed, gentle person and is filled with passion - for her home, family, schools, government and community. She doesn’t have to swing arms and shout and pound the table to make a point.

Oh yes, I forgot. Did I mention that she is a very, very nice person as well and that I’m thrilled she was reelected in recognition of her many talents.

Georgianna !

On March 20, 2008 6:17 PM, dors said:

BRX/BRKLYN/COH, I agree that Ms. Minett is an enthusiastic speaker and tells it like it is albeit from her perspective. I’m more than satisfied with the election results but I’ll give Ms. Minett credit for running. It’s pretentious and arrogant to armchair quarterback like so many people like to do but Joann felt strongly enough to throw her hat in the ring and run for office. Candidates that put themselves out there for public ridicule and run for office should be commended for their strong sense of commitment. All the candidates put themselves on the line and took time out of the personal and family lives to try and make our village better and I give kudos to them all!

On March 20, 2008 4:09 PM, BRX/BRKLYN/COH said:

Well “waffels”, I really know this woman and I have to agree with Josh. We SHOULD be thankful for people that after a hard days work in our school system; raising three children; and being a wife, can find the time to dedicate to her neighbors as well. Joann Minett is a very honest and enthusiastic speaker. Just because she is honest, and tells it like it is, does not mean she is “not a nice person”. Maybe if more people stopped tip toeing around issues so politely at some of these village meetings, and showed some passion, something might actually get done! I am very sorry to hear that Joann was not elected. I REALLY think it is time for Ann Gallelli to retire. There is definitely no passion left there!

On March 20, 2008 3:26 PM, waffels said:

Sorry Josh, do you really know this woman?…….bicycle safety or not talk to the people that she regularly insulted and verbally abused who do and did so much more for this village than she ever will. She is not a nice person……..Beware!……