Bullying Mayor Schmidt YouTube Videos Resurface

January 28, 2009

To the editor:

Now that Kevin Davis took down his videos and isn’t posting new ones (see Mayor Schmidt and the Case of the Missing YouTube Channel), I decided to take his place.

Here is my first video and the link to my new YouTube channel:

Right now there is just one video up but I plan to make more in the future.

— TwoSevenWonder

On February 28, 2009 10:58 AM, Gazette reader said:

Mr. Davis,

Would you please post your thoughtful letter that appeared in the February 27, 2009 issue of the Gazette?

Thank you.

On March 1, 2009 10:46 AM, Seth Davis said:

Sure. Call me “thoughtful” and I’ll do almost anything for you…

To the Editor:

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

At the Village Board meeting of January 20, 2009, at the very time the Obamas were dancing to “At Last,” Mayor Greg Schmidt uttered these words in arguing against further consideration of the Murray committee’s proposal:

“I didn’t move into a community to become Peekskill, Ossining or whatever.”

In the more than 50 years I have called Croton home, references to Ossining and Peekskill—with their substantial minority communities—have been well-established code for outsiders of different color or ethnic background. (Note that we never hear any concerns about becoming a Buchanan or Verplanck.) I do not believe that Mayor Schmidt is a racist. I don’t believe he intended to make a racial comment. But falling on the ears of a community already talking about “those people” moving in, he only inflamed ugly sentiments.

My son, whose activism in local affairs gives me great pride, has been out soliciting petition signatures. He regularly returns home with accounts of people telling him they are afraid of people moving in from Ossining or Peekskill. One man told him that he was against the Murray proposal because he didn’t want to see more apartments in Croton with eight Mexicans in one room. That’s not an undertone (or even an overtone) of racism—that’s outright racism and all of us know it.

These statements, and similar sentiments I have heard from opponents of the proposal, are totally repugnant. I wish I could say they have no place in this community, but they have been in this community long before I moved here in 1955. How unfortunate that the Mayor inflamed these sentiments. How unfortunate that these fears have dominated discussion on an issue of such importance to our collective future.

I have not made up my mind on the merits of the Murray committee proposal. But I do know that to shut off reasoned consideration of this issue, as the Mayor wants to do, is wrong. Fortunately we have in Leo Wiegman a brilliant individual with a real vision for the future of this community and the understanding that these issues need to be evaluated rationally and openly. For this and many other reasons he will be getting my vote.

Seth A. Davis

On February 2, 2009 10:27 AM, Seth Davis said:

Spellchecker is absolutely right. The opposition to the Harmon zoning proposal is laden with racist undertones. You don’t even have to have lived in Croton for as long as I have to see it.

On February 1, 2009 9:02 PM, Liam Cerka said:

There is a great website someone pointed out to me that reseaches whether statements made by candidates are true or not. I recommend checking it out

www.crotonelections.com

On February 2, 2009 6:59 PM, Mrs Smith said:

I notice that crotonelections.com give Schmidt a “true” for “The Village has been making steady progress on infrastructure upgrades and quality of life issues”. What is not mentioned is that the whole Harmon water pipe replacement project was structured and bid out by the previous administration and was all in place when Schmidt took office - he merely had to have the staff implement it.

On January 28, 2009 7:13 PM, TwoSevenWonder said:

I fixed the spelling error.

On January 28, 2009 9:03 PM, Spellchecker said:

Thanks. And great ending to the clip!

On January 28, 2009 5:53 PM, Spellchecker said:

TwoSevenWonder,

Thank you for filling in for Kevin.

However, in the title of your first video, you mispelled the word mulligan.

And wow! I couldn’t believe what I heard when Mayor Schmidt actually said that he “didn’t move into a community to become a Peekskill, Ossining or whatever.”

Anyhow, I happen to think that all this faux-controversy being cooked up by Croton’s mayor and Maria Cudequest over the HEDC’s proposed zoning changes is really about keeping “new” people out of Croton.