It was human error. I apologize

March 1, 2009

Dear Neighbors:

I am writing to ask for your forgiveness. On Saturday I learned two very valuable lessons. First, even simple email notification lists are complex creatures to do correctly. And, second, the “Delete” key fixes the problem, and the “Reply” key makes it worse.

I attempted to construct a notification list for general information about voter registration and absentee ballot deadlines. I had purchased a list of email addresses of registered voters for this purpose.

When I attempted to save a draft to work on later, I accidentally and unknowingly sent a garbled initial message. This message also enabled recipients to “reply all” which was not at all my intention.

The moment I realized my errors, I did three things. I disabled and deleted the list. I called or contacted individuals who had replied to apologize in person to them. I contacted my internet service provider for help.

Unfortunately, by that time, even though I had disabled the original list, it had been picked up by other servers beyond my control. Fortunately, the solution is simple. Please drag all the [Villagevoters] messages to your trash and hit “Delete” to empty the trash.

In my attempt to streamline communication, I unwittingly caused a [Villagevoters] email that did the opposite.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience that my email error caused.

— Leo Wiegman

On March 4, 2009 10:21 AM, Georgianna Grant said:

Any email received from Leo because of a simple mistake of hitting a wrong key is just that, a simple mistake; it isn’t spam; it wasn’t an invasion of anyone’s privacy; it was a commercial email list available to anyone run by a legitimate business. So I suggest the “outraged” bloggers stop their senseless whining and stick to the important issues in this election campaign. Yes, Leo is running for Mayor and he’s doing so openly and aggressively. He has my support!

As for Pellicci’s nasty cartoons - they aren’t the least bit funny but they sure are the work of a nasty, angry man. Too bad!

On March 3, 2009 9:14 AM, Georgianna Grant said:

The language and the comment by commonsense do sound a lot like our not so famous cartoonist. Guess he couldn’t think of any funny thing to draw because he’s in such a bad mood over the probable results of the upcoming election.

On March 3, 2009 2:12 PM, Gazette reader said:

Mr. Pellicci’s cartoons are always very disturbing. Here’s one from last week:

On March 2, 2009 4:19 PM, scottdavidson said:

Having worked on several campaigns I can say that purchasing lists of prospective supporters with contact information is a very common practice. There is nothing shady going on here. Mr. Wiegman shouldn’t have included a “reply all” option. It was a mistake and he apologized for it. This isn’t “unbelivable” - it was a stupid but easily forgivable mistake that has been slightly inconveinient for you.

On March 2, 2009 10:11 PM, Pandora said:

Isn’t it remarkable that the only people who are receiving “spam” as a result of Leo’s mistake are people who post on the NCN blogs? That’s amazing!

I got that email. I haven’t seen a whit of spam as a result. I guess armies of spammers have just been waiting to get their hands on the email addresses of NCN blog posters.

On March 2, 2009 3:14 PM, Judith A. said:

I am now the recipient of over 75 emails as a result of Mr. Wiegman’s spam email. I didn’t even realize it was from Mr. Wiegman since he did not even identify himself other than to say he was a “candidate for mayor.” For a moment I thought these items were from Mayor Schmidt.

I am contacting Mr. Wintermeier, the chair of the Croton Republican Committee, and I hope whatever action can be taken with the Board of Elections will be taken. Mr. Wiegman’s not even identifying himself in the first sentence certainly smacked of deception. The only way you could find out who and where the email came from was to go to his business site, etothefourth, and even those links did not work.

Unbelievable.

On March 2, 2009 4:19 PM, dclap10520 said:

1) How do we make them STOP? I have over 82 of these NOW.

2) I have a REAL problem with his NOT IDENTIFYING HIMSELF IN THE FIRST SENTENCE. He could have said: My name is Leo Weigman. Instead, he did this cryptic first sentence then referred you NOT to the Croton Democratic site, which would have been the appropriate thing to do, but to his business site. Some people DID think it was coming from the mayor and or the village. Wrong all around.

3) So much for the claims of “technological superiority” we hear from the Democrats all the time.

4) He may have not meant for everyone to get this, but he surely meant to keep you guessing otherwise he would have identified himself in the FIRST sentence.

5) Inappropriate all around. Why would he purchase a list of email addresses to invade MY privacy? Because he is running for mayor? what hubris.

I hope the committee will file a formal complaint. They’d do it to you in a heartbeat. Remember when they knocked you off the line. These are NOT my grandmother’s Democrats, they are NOT even the TOWN Democrats. More’s the pity.

On March 2, 2009 4:42 PM, maria said:

I don’t know. Servers everywhere seem to be running with it. Maybe notify your ISP? I just don’t know.

On March 2, 2009 4:45 PM, commonsense said:

FYI: Judith A. ,Bob W, dclap…everything you wrote under the’Leo’ forum…

On March 2, 2009 4:47 PM, maria said:

Yes we all know. Apparently, the blog is copying the posts here and placing them there as if they originated at that site. I don’t know if there is anything that can be done about this but I suppose we can all contact the moderator/administrator at jgarber@yepublishing.com

Then maybe the moderator????

On March 2, 2009 4:49 PM, commonsense said:

Maybe those chumps can post this….

What kind of childish nonsense are you engaging in here?

More importantly, WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CANDIDATE STANDS BY THIS BS ?

WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT YOU ?

THINK IT’S CUTE ?

YOU, YOUR PARTY, AND YOUR ALLEDGED SUPPORTERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED AT ALL THE STUPIDITY GOING ON.

For God’s sake, please grow up!

On March 4, 2009 1:53 PM, Anonymous said:

Any email received from Leo because of a simple mistake of hitting a wrong key is just that, a simple mistake; it isn’t spam; it wasn’t an invasion of anyone’s privacy; it was a commercial email list available to anyone run by legitimate businesses. So I suggest the “outraged” bloggers stop their senseless whining and stick to the important issues in this election campaign. Yes, Leo is running for Mayor and he’s doing so openly and aggressively. He doesn’t need to use tricks or subterfuge to win; He’ll win on merit and qualifications.

On March 2, 2009 9:15 PM, SoRiAv said:

Take it easy, Richard.

On March 2, 2009 8:50 PM, maria said:

I have contacted NCN and sent them the link to the postings taken from this site. In the meantime, the only thing I can suggest is that you just keep deleting these emails as they come in.

On March 3, 2009 6:46 AM, Carolyn G said:

Thanks, save copies.

On March 2, 2009 8:34 PM, Truth Hurts said:

We all know these desperate, pathetic pack of losers posted this crap because they know when it comes to the issues, this election is LOST! 86 emails from Leo my ass! At least Leo uses email. Schmidt uses taxpayer money to have village employees open his email for him and highlight what he should read. I’ll take a mistaken email blast over that anyday!

When will the flyer come out claiming welfare housing with rats and roaches will be built if the Democrats get elected? Oh that’s right, too early for that inevitable pathetic stunt, its not March 16th yet.

Maria, Jennifer, Dclap, Carolyn G, Judith A, Marion and Commonsense are just a pack of losers.

On March 3, 2009 2:08 PM, Anonymous said:

Hey, you left out that other “piece of work & loser” Karenmcc55

On March 2, 2009 3:43 PM, Wintermeier said:

Judith:

Thanks for the promotion but I’m the vice chair.

I’m being inundated by calls and emails related to Leo’s spam. I want to give him credit for identifying himself and apologizing to the recipients. I want to assure all that Leo’s list was not taken from any Croton source. He has identified the NYC source to me and they do sell email lists. I believe him.

I have other concerns about privacy and hope that the email list he purchased is discarded. More about this as I get better information.