Croton Farmer's Market Kicks Off Wednesday

June 7, 2009

Buying locally produced food directly from farmers and bakers is about to get a whole lot more convenient this summer. Community Markets is opening a midweek farmers market in Croton that runs into the evening. Designed for commuters and those shoppers who are too busy to visit the neighboring weekend markets, the Croton Market will be held a short distance from the Croton Metro-North train station in the former skateboard park on Municipal Place and Riverside Avenue every Wednesday from 2-7 p.m. starting on June 10th.

“We want to encourage people to shop more often at farmers markets,” says Miriam Haas, director of Community Markets. “Because it is so close to the train station, the market will be very convenient for commuters on their way home from work,” she says.

The eclectic array of local foods that will be available include: a wide variety of organic vegetables and herbs from Little Seed Gardens, a certified organic grower from Chatam, NY; annual and perennial plants, fruits and vegetables from Hodgson’s Farm, Walden, NY; pasture raised beef and kielbasa from Kiernan Farm, Gardiner, NY; decadent desserts from Dutch Desserts, Kinderhook, NY; breads and baked goods from Meredith’s Bread, Kingston, NY; Savory pastries from Pika’s Quiche, Big Indian, NY; organic, locally roasted nuts and nut butters from Tierra Farms, Valatie, NY; old fashioned barrel pickles from Doc Pickle, Wayne, NJ; Beltane Farm from Connecticut will be selling fresh goat milk cheese with organic herbs and goats milk yogurt; there will be fresh berries, produce, horseradish and homemade quince jellies from Athanas Farm, Hyde Park, NY; and locally made wines from Millbrook Vineyard and Winery, Millbrook, NY.

While there is clearly a delicious mix of products lined up for Croton this summer, Haas expects the market will serve the community in other ways as well, “I hope the market will be able to provide even more than local food,” she says. “I would like it to be a place where people can relax and slow down and catch up with neighbors, maybe on the way back from picking up a friend or family member at the train station.”

“I’m thrilled that the Village has been successful in establishing a Farmer’s Market”, added Village Trustee Ann Gallelli. “After years of discussion, this is finally going to happen and Community Markets have the experience to make this a successful venture.”

On June 23, 2009 1:29 AM, Anonymous said:

i wasn’t able to attend, and i was just wondering if there was any music? some of the local markets i go to have live music. I’m sure there are plenty of talented people in Croton for this.

On June 15, 2009 12:16 PM, GEORGIANNA GRANT said:

Does it seem strange to anyone else that this crotonblog has nothing but good, positive comments about the wonderful new farmers market. The ncnblog controlled by the same very few people has nothing but negative, damning, and gloom and doom comments. Go tell.

On June 11, 2009 4:37 PM, Anonymous said:

So the local malcontents are foaming at the mouth…again. (Sigh) Where to begin, first the farmer’s market was their idea and therefore “good”, but now that it is actually a reality and Dems are in office it is bad,very,very bad, evil in fact. According to Croton’s claque of noisily nattering scenery chewers a Farmer’s market that is open 5 hours once per week is going to drive Zetinya out of business. No hyperbole there. And, yes, the traffic was so bad it was backed up to residential neighborhoods (how many blocks away???) No one could get to their dry cleaning. Oh, my God, not that! Chaos! Mayhem! Housing! Over crowded schools! My aunt can’t get to church! The sky is falling! Help me I’m melting…..ahhrgggg!

On June 11, 2009 7:38 PM, Anonymous said:

Ouch! The farmer’s market gave me a hemorrhoid and made my bum hurt. How dare those democrats bring such and awful thing to Croton.

On June 11, 2009 9:25 AM, Vincent said:

Dumb question…does the town earn revenue from the farmers market?

On June 10, 2009 7:13 PM, Georgianna Grant said:

Not only did it open today, but it was alive, vibrant, fun, busy, spirited, delightful, great, magical, community-spirited and on and on and on and on …..

I went at 2:15 and is was mobbed… I saw old and new friends .. everyone was in a great mood (even tho the sun wasn’t shining!) The merchants were definitely in great moods as the dollars were coming in fast and furious. The greens were surprisingly plentiful even tho it’s early in the season .. the baked goods superlative,.. the organic nuts and nut butters were out of this world … and of course the wonderful, crunchy, crusty breads were to die for!

Thank you, thank you, thank you … for all those who worked so hard to make this happen.

P.S. I saw 3 of the trustees there today and gave them all kinds of kudos for making it happen but also had 2 suggestions to make; both about parking. Definitely not enough and that must be addressed somehow in their magical ways. One way to do so might be to remove that God-awful ugly black anchor fence. Not only does it interfere with some parking but it also means that those that have to park north of the skatepark, have a long, long way to walk to the open end. Maybe take down a few of the fences to make more access and egress available?????

On June 11, 2009 11:46 AM, Seth Davis said:

I was there for the last few minutes, and I thought it was GREAT! Wonderful stuff, wonderful atmosphere, and there were still a few things for this working stiff to buy.

I agree that Vassallo Park would be a nicer location. People who went earlier in the day reported that the parking was often filled and the prospect of parking at Croton Commons and walking over was unappealing. Plus, if we had it in the middle of town, folks would be more likely to walk over and buy things at other stores—that’s what I do when I shop at farmers’ markets elsewhere.

I was also thrilled to see that one of the sellers came from the booming metropolis of Big Indian, New York, where my father directed a summer camp and I spent the first 5 summers of my life!

Seth Davis

On June 10, 2009 9:44 PM, Mrs. Smith said:

My suggestion to the trustees would have been to move the market to the upper village to Vassallo Park - mid week, parking better and a distinct benefit to upper village merchants. This is a great park in the middle of the village, had that great outdoor stage so that there could be enterntainment too. What do you think?

On June 11, 2009 9:24 AM, Red Hill Resident said:

Let it run it course for this season, then make decisions based upon the success. I agree that the upper village might be better location. For those of us who work full time in the city I’d love to see it moved to the weekend. However, having the Farmer’s Market at all is a great first step. Maybe in the future we could piggy back on a crafts/arts fair also.

On June 9, 2009 9:51 AM, R said:

I like the idea of the farmer’s market but the location is hardly close enough to the train station to allow for walking. This means that you will need to drive and consequently will there be enough parking at the skate park?

On June 8, 2009 9:54 AM, Susan Dorien said:

I am thrilled to read about the farmers market opening. Peculiar, but useful, hours. I always thought Vassallo Park would be the perfect place for a farmers market. Good for the upper village stores and a lovely green place to hang out. Vassallo Park is so underutilized! But that’s for another thread :)