Ice Cream Throwdown: Monkey vs. Pig

Pig

the-blue-pig-ice-cream-shop.jpg
Photo: Olivia W., 06/08/09

The Blue Pig
121 Maple Street Croton-on-Hudson, New York 10520

On August 7, 2009 9:43 AM, hannah said:

I’ve seen the delivery truck outside the blue pig before at 6am. delivering ICE CREAM.

Its not homemade. thats total bs. And the owner is a total witch. Her attitude is horrid. If she cant be nice to the customers then she shouldn’t be there. Its way over priced as well. I bought 2 ice cream cones there and it came out to $11!!!!! I could buy 3 pints of Ben & Jerry’s for that and enjoy it a hell of a lot more. I always support local vendors but i just cant stomach this place anymore.

On June 27, 2009 6:44 AM, Mike Homade or ? said:

What is homemade? Does anyone know? Does it come from a mix like the “Blue Pig” and they add toppings? It’s kinda like Cold Stone then, isn’t it?

Homemade should be when it somes direct from the cow, pasterized, blended with the toppings and then presented in a tub of any size or shape.

“Give peace a chance” Purple, Blue or Black, what’s next?

On June 20, 2009 9:53 AM, 3kids2dogskb said:

I have been reading over these posts. The Blue Pig lost my “frequent” business a long time ago. My personal feeling is if you want to own a business like an ice cream shop you MUST be friendly… oh and I forgot to mention… customer service. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. Less than friendly just doesn’t cut it. Additionally, 2 ice cream shops… how many nail salons and delis do we have. A little competition would do the owner of the Blue Pig some good. I am glad my family no longer has to travel to carvel or tarrytown for ice cream. We are big fans of the Purple Monkey and wish them continued success here and in their Ossining store.

On June 15, 2009 2:19 PM, MoosePond said:

We’ve been customers of Black Cow since moving to Croton over 10 years ago and have never found the “edibles” wanting any time that we’ve visited. I’d be willing to bet that those who are complaining have never once spoken to Mike or Peggy about what they’d like to see added.

btw, to Mike & Peggy and all of their staff, keep up the good work. You’ve still got the best cup of java in Westchester in our opinion and where else locally can you find an nonest-to-God coffee house where they roast their own beans, welcome you to hang out, provide WiFi connection and always greet you with a friendly smile? Certainly not at Croton’s one and only “franchise” coffee shop!

On June 15, 2009 7:08 PM, Anonymous said:

Ditto! We are so lucky to have the Black Cow in this community. I’ve never found anything lacking there - in fact, just the opposite.

On June 14, 2009 8:52 PM, nerbyby neighbor said:

I went to both the Blue Pig and the Black Cow over the weekend. I haven’t been to the Cow in a long time (having switched to the Peekskill competition) and I was amazed at how poor the “edibles” were. Really pretty shocking. On the other hand, the owners of the Pig must have gotten the message because they were extremely polite and friendly—even a little too much.

On June 11, 2009 9:11 PM, FairlyNewCrotonITE said:

I don’t appreciate the name Purple Monkey either, I too think it smacks of a lack of creativity (huge lack.) I don’t want to see the Blue Pig or Black Cow go under, I live here and plan on staying here so shuttered stores are not something that I want. I guess my point is complacency in business can be very dangerous and that’s what I believe has occurred in both situations. The quality of the edibles is lacking, I don’t see why it would be difficult to find a local baker/bakery that would supply you with organic baked goods that look fresh and taste fresh on a daily basis.

On June 11, 2009 7:42 PM, Anonymous said:

I love the pig. Monkeys are so unpredictable, but I’m very happy to have choices. I will give them each a fair shake.

On June 11, 2009 6:01 PM, JWL said:

Yes, I agree that the Blue Pig does need professional customer service training: how to greet, smiling and the proverbal “Have a nice day”, however the Pig is Croton’s participation in the slow food movement with its hand crafted ice cream. Just as we love the new farmer’s market that supports the Buy Local movement, the Blue Pig is our own local ice cream. Give the Blue Pig another chance!!

On June 9, 2009 7:42 PM, Anonymous said:

Good bye Blue Pig! Sick of the “no smile, kid hating, we are doing you a favor attitude”. Team Purple Monkey!

On June 9, 2009 11:55 AM, nearbyneighbor said:

While I agree that 2 ice cream shops is a bit much for Croton, these will not depend on the 7500 residents of the village for survival. Like all businesses in Croton, they will benefit from the thousands of people who live in the surrounding towns and who go through Croton daily. The Blue Pig, Black Cow, Unami, Zeytinia, and so on would not be nearly as successful without the residents of Cortlandt, Yorktown, and Ossining who frequent them.

If you’re not happy with the edibles at Black Cow, try the Peekskill Coffee House—excellent food, coffee, and music!

On June 8, 2009 6:44 PM, Michael Grant said:

Thank you lgretep(??)……well put and I say ditto to that. No more needs to be said…..

On June 8, 2009 6:20 PM, Lgretep said:

In THIS case, there is no competition, folks. There is noise and marketing, fanfare, and slick retail posing as home grown, but this is like McD’s versus Umami.

The Pig serves small-batch handmade ice creams. It is a Croton owned and operated place, and it is unique to our village. The new place is a strip mall joint (owned by who? from where?) serving not-so-fresh, not-so-small-batch, out of state commercial stuff - and branding it to look like Croton local.

There’s no room in Croton for someone stealing local thunder for profit, just like there’s no room on this page for fairlyMALcontent slamming local businesses.

On June 18, 2009 4:52 PM, Handmadeicecream? said:

Handmade? I think not — I’ve seen the mixes in the back. Also, pretty pricey….sorry….we go elsewhere.

On June 23, 2009 11:48 AM, Handmadeicecream? said:

Don’t believe everything you read……..

On June 8, 2009 9:21 PM, Anonymous said:

The Pig is DONE! Great tasting ice cream without all the bad attitude. Goodbye Blue Pig!

On June 8, 2009 3:28 PM, MIchael Grant said:

Hey again, I just wanted to clarify what I meant by my post. Competition is a good thing for business. Variety and inspired creativity is better. “Blue Pig”, “Black Cow”……….”Purple Monkey”……not very creative or inspiring……

On June 8, 2009 10:15 AM, JohnT said:

Competition is OK. That being said, I think the Black Cow is a unique place that we are very lucky to have. There are a number of places you can buy coffee in the village, but there is only one where I run into my friends and neighbors with such consistency.

You can get a cup of joe at Dunkin Donunts if you want. Mike, I will take a large coffee and muffin to go.

On June 8, 2009 7:11 AM, MIchael Grant said:

Hey Fairlynewcrotonite what kind of edibles would you like to see at The Black Cow?…..And if someone opened “The Red Sheep” coffee house with your kind of edibles that’s healthy competition? I personally don’t think so. Not in a town of 7500 people.

On June 8, 2009 10:21 AM, Anonymous said:

Michael, well said. My fear is that this village is way too small to support two similar ice cream shops in such close proximity, potentially resulting in both of them closing due to lack of business. I hope I’m wrong. Also, FairlyNewCrotonITE, instead of complaining about Black Cow edibles, why don’t you reach out to Michael and Peggy and let them know what you’d like to see there?

On June 7, 2009 10:18 PM, FairlyNewCrotonITE said:

Competition is good. Maybe the owner of Blue Pig will smile a bit more now. Now all we need is another coffee house so Black Cow can improve on their edibles.